South Korea | Tourist Visa Application for Filipinos

I had the privilege to visit Seoul and Busan last January 2013. The tour operator I personally met at a Travel Mart held in Dusit Thani Manila invited us to have a familiarization tour in South Korea and Osaka, Japan.



The invite came January 4 and we have to leave by January 27, and I got to read the email January 7. My goodness, just imagine the excitement mixed with panic attack on how I can get both South Korea and Japan visa in that short span of time.

Tourist visa requirements preparation


I started processing my requirements January 8. I filled out the PDF application form. (Better if it's computer or type written) You can download it here. I had my picture taken and I requested a bank certificate from BDO. I had to pay Php 100 for the bank certificate where I got to get a day after.

My partner tour operator in South Korea also sent me additional documents hoping to have my visa application expedited. They sent me a letter of invitation and our Panstar Ferry booking confirmation.

Tourist visa application


After I got all my necessary requirements. I went to the South Korean embassy. That was January 11, well 5 days after I got the invite. I'm a slowpoke.

The Korean Embassy is located at the corner of Upper McKinley Road and C5 in Taguig City. There's no need to have an appointment. You can just go there directly, Monday to Friday, from 9AM-11AM. Personal appearance is not required (you may ask somebody else to submit your requirements for you or you can process anyone's visa requirements aside from yours as well). 

There will be friendly personnel who will guide you through the step by step process. My first time to apply for a visa was so smooth and organized. I was out after an hour. You will receive a queue number at the reception. The queue numbers for first time and frequent travelers are different. So make sure you get the right one. If you need to ask, just ask. The staffs will be more than willing to help you.

When your number is called, you will then proceed to the assigned window with your documents for checking. If they are complete and the consul does not have any questions, they will receive your documents. The consul did not take all my documents though. He did not take my ITR and my business documents like DTI and Mayor's Permit. Upon receiving my claim slip, I also inquired if my visa can get expedited since I would have to get my passport quick because I'll also apply for Japan visa afterwards. Sadly, they are very strict with their process. For first time travelers, processing takes five working days. While for frequent travelers, processing is three working days. 


Getting my first visa



After 5 working days, that was January 18, I got my first visa. South Korean embassy visa releasing time is from 2 to 4 pm, also Monday to Friday only. The same entry procedures apply, get a gate pass and sign on the log sheet, then get a number once inside. Make sure you bring your claim slip with you because you will need this to enter and get a number and of course get your visa stamped passport.

South Korea Trip January 25-30, 2013

IMPORTANT REMINDERS TO ALL VISA APPLICANTS
Please read the instructions below, before you present your documents to the window

•Please register and get a number from the guard, if your number doesn’t appear on the screen yet, please sit down & wait for you number to be called.
•Please refrain from using your mobile phone and other electronic device while inside the embassy.
•Please make sure that you have filled out the correct visa application form, check the correct application form with the guard on duty, fill it out completely, and write “not applicable” if appropriate. Do not leave any blanks.
•Paste your passport size photo on the application form.
•Remove covers or jacket of your passport. Staple old & new passport together.
•Remove paperclips, rubber bands, envelopes and folders.
•Please arrange your documents accordingly: Visa application form on top, then photocopy of passport & visas issued from other countries, then supporting documents
•Contact number in Korea is very important, please don’t forget to fill out the contact number of your guarantor or your hotel in Korea.
•The embassy will return your original passport on the releasing date assigned to your application, we do not return any documents, so please make sure that you have submitted only a photocopy of ITR, Business permit , contract , marriage contract, birth certificate, etc.
•Bank Certificates should indicate the amount of money you have in the bank and the date it was opened.
•Employment Certificate should indicate compensation and length of stay in the company. It should also have a valid landline number.
•Do not forget to get your releasing slip / claim stub upon submission of documents.