Revisiting Hong Kong: Hung Moon Tea Restaurant and Cha Chaan Teng

I had the chance to come back to Hong Kong for a 4 days stay last July 11. Of course, we again booked our flights many months ahead. Because of that, we got our roundtrip ticket more or less Php 3,500 only. Thanks to Cebu Pacific deals. 


We were blessed with clear skies, and it was 32-35 degrees hot summer in HKG. Yikes! 

Since I have my own travel agency, I just decided to get a package rather than my usual DIY trips. We were picked up and dropped to our hotel. And we had the whole bus for the 4 of us only. 


Checking in at our hotel, the Bridal Tea house in Kai Tak was a breeze. 


When I first went to HKG, I was so hesitant to try their local food. On my second visit, I promised myself to really push an experience at one Cha chaan teng. A trip to Hong Kong is not complete without eating at Cha Chaan Teng. I checked openrice.com and found one. So upon arriving and settling our things in the hotel, we immediately looked for the restaurant. After going back and forth at Pak Tai Street and checking if the chinese characters are similar, we found what I'm looking for - Hung Moon Tea Restaurant.


Still, much to our surprise, nobody is able to converse in English. And to make it harder, the menu is all pure Chinese with not one picture in it. Good thing, teen Hongkongers were there and offered their translating services. 


3 teens helped us in ordering. We got milk teas, spicy chicken and a noodle dish we immediately liked. It was a superb experience. 


The 2 dish is already ample for us 4 and we only paid a total of HKD 78. Cheap!


Cha Chaan Teng means a tea canteen and is a place to have a quick bite at an affordable price. It's like a hawkers in Singapore.

So next time you visit Hong Kong - do what the locals do. Be a traveler not a tourist. It's one of a kind experience. Especially, when we were all dumbfounded when none of the staffs are able to speak in English and when we were rescued by those teenagers. It's something I would always cherish and it makes a good storytelling whenever you share your travel experiences.





0 comments: